Thursday, February 11, 2010

Finished 1930s Evening Gown



Finally, the long awaited photos of the 1930s evening gown that I completed last week. I'm pretty satisfied with the way it turned out. Although I draped the dress on a school mannequin several years ago, there were few changes that needed to be made to the pattern in order for the dress to fit me - a bonus.

I added a seam at the waist area to smooth out a ripple that was forming there. The original sketch showed darts above the waist, but that seemed a strange location to place them. The waist seems a little more natural to me.



I love the diamonds at the side!



I added a godet train. I'm not sure if I like the way that the skirt falls -it may have looked nicer on the bias - but I tried to make it like the original sketch and pattern which was not on the bias.

I'm so glad to finally feel closure from this college class project! We were assigned to drape the pattern for this dress as a final project but I always wanted to see the realized dress. Now I can call it finished and add it to my Portfolio.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. I love the back view! The godet train is very effective! I'd be really interested to see the original pattern and a detail of the darts at the waist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a beautiful colour and cut, and I love the diamonds at the side too!
    How lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous gown!!!! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So gorgeous! The color is so rich! I love the train on the back of the skirt, it really adds a lot to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all the lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete